[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D andaBosendorferImperial together

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 18 05:35:24 MDT 2008

Hi.

Been reading all these posts and cant help coming to the conclusion
there is a bit of confusion about how ETD's actually work. An ETD has
really two possible general ways of going about things. It can take into
consideration each pianos inharmonicity or it can decide not to. The
later has been cast by the wayside eons ago and ever since accounting
for the pianos inharmonicity in some way or another is always been a
part every (usable) ETD. There are a couple 2-3 approaches to this
group. Measure on the fly directly and re-calculate the tuning
(Verituner) Measure a few intervals ahead of time calculate supposed
inharmonicity and impose a resultant tuning curve on the piano (RCT,
Acutuner, Tunelab), or use a pre-supposed template which is used as the
basis for direct reference tuning on the part of the piano technician.

What doesnt seem to be understood is that ETD's  are in a sense
constructed to function as a kind of hybrid between human and machine.
Some more then others. If one knows what coincident partials one is
going to use for each, then you can in reality simply use any device
that accurately enough reads a strings frequency as it vibrates and
compare that frequency to another strings coincident partial, tuning as
you go along exactly like aural tuners do.

Stoppers claim is that his partials selection when superimposed on the
pianos inharmonicity... simply does the job we call stretch (which is
nothing more then the selection of appropriate combinations of
coincident partials to reference our tuning by) all by its self. I.e.
simply super-impose a stretch (based on P-12ths) on every instruments
inharmonicity.  Easy enough to do.  I do this all the time with Tune
lab. And it does indeed work... and some of the descriptions I hear
about the results of the Stopper tuning sound quite familiar indeed.

One more thing.  Whatever else Bernhard is... he's is indeed a very
intelligent individual.  I see no reason on earth to doubt his maths
abilities or his maths reasonings in this regard. His claim regarding
this tuning as being the <<best ever>> are not to be taken in the
subjective sense. There are objective criteria he uses to justify that
claim, and if one accepts these objective criteria then he is probably
100% correct.  Whether or not one on the other hand agrees with these
criteria from a subjective experienced listening based standpoint is
another discussion entirely. You cant really mix the two without getting
all mired down in cross talking one another.

Cheers
RicB

        No calculated pitch raise function, but there is the full range
        of pitch levels available.

        No measurements, no saved tunings.

        I don't understand how it could possibly be "1 tuning file in a
        box",  based on the results I've heard on different pianos. But
        I don't know
        for sure.

        Kent

             From what you say, if some pianos are tuned wider and some
            narrower,   there could be only one curve in there and all
            pianos would be tuned  to the same frequencies note to note.
            This would explain how your   S&S and Bosendorfer sounded so
            good together.
            Marcel Carey

        Your comment is logical, but I still don't know.
        Kent