[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 09:52:49 MDT 2008

Now it's my turn to be skeptical. "Superb tuning every time on every piano"?
That's a lot of pianos!

A strict P12th tuning would yield very different tunings on a Bosendorfer
and a D. The two pianos wouldn't match, and I suspect the Bosendorfer would
sound fairly miserable in the high treble.

As Fred has pointed out, more stretch is needed in the bass on most pianos.

And someone else pointed out that a strict P12th tuning might be too wide in
the tenor if the inharmonicity is too high there.

Kent