[CAUT] metric wire

David's Email ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 14 13:29:16 MDT 2008

List,

Awhile back I asked if Hamburg's used Rosleau wire and that was affirmed.  I have a Hamburg D I maintain that had and the incorrect wire installed on D4/E4flat (wire shared by both notes)   I bought from Schaff, sizes 17, 17.5 & 18 as I wasn't sure which size it was.   On the plate, 18 was stamped right at the problem area.   I took down the tension of the wire and miced it at .041 or 18.   I checked the original wire on either side and they were .040 ir 17.5 on each of the two notes.   So apparently, the 18 on the plate is metric and .040 is it's size or an American size of 17.5.   I changed the wire to 17.5 Rosleau from Schaff.   Apparently Schaff labeled the metric wire  for American sizes?   The important thing to remember is to mic before changing wire.

David Ilvedson