[CAUT] Antibiotics that affect the hearing

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Wed Oct 8 23:12:55 MDT 2008

Keith,

Try googling "ototoxic drugs". You'll find plenty of info. One article
mentions Ampicillin, but not Amoxicillin. A list of ototoxic drugs taken
from the Physicians Desk Reference does not mention either of the
foregoing two. The following link has a few summary tables, and a bunch
of references to other articles: http://tinyurl.com/3j5eq2

There are quite a few antibiotics that are definitely ototoxic,
including Streptomycin and Neomycin. But don't take my word for it, and
best of luck.

-Mark Schecter