[CAUT] Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 04:57:32 MDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Ron Koval wrote:

> I'd been wondering if anyone had tried this software in the field
> yet.  Have you had a chance to try it on pianos with more
> challenging scales?

Yes, I've used it on the full range of scales. The tunings all seem to
have the same character, without regard to the type of scale. Stopper
claims that PureTuner in effect doesn't care about inharmonicity.

>   I'm thinking about the Baldwin uprights that are in most of the
> schools around here.  The times I've experimented with pure 12ths
> tuning stretch have proven to end up with tunings too wide in the
> middle for many smaller pianos, with obvious motion in the octaves,
> especially around the break.

I tune unisons as I go. I have found that octaves that don't sound so
good are the result of bad unisons. In other words, the normal
problems with unisons that don't stay put is a much larger problem
than any unwanted motion in the octaves.

Kent