[CAUT] Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Dorothy Bell dabell58 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 13:56:05 PST 2008

Dear Fred and all,

What a good point. The original note from Eric said essentially that he was
getting new pianos from Steinway to replace his old ones, which were 35
years old on average and largely Baldwins. The operative question was not
whether to have new Steinways or to have a variety of new pianos, the
question was whether to have new Steinways or a set of well-worn, elderly
Baldwins and the like.

I myself am very happy that Eric has not only new pianos but new pianos
which please him and his faculty.

Opinions on what the Conservatory should have done and should have wanted
seem not to deal with the situation at hand and, in my view, lead to the
unfortunate side effect of making us sound more arrogant than helpful. I
could be wrong (have been so before).

Best wishes,
Dorrie Bell
Boston, MA