[CAUT] Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 26 06:46:45 PST 2008

On Nov 24, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> In any case, we have seen many times on this list that piano
> solutions don't necessarily converge. I am uncomfortable with any
> one-and-only-best-solution.

I agree. I certainly don't endorse an all-Anything for everybody. I
guess I don't see that happening in a practical sense - the entire
country being "taken over" by all-Steinway. In any case, I hate to see
us as cauts getting into battle array to try to stem the tide of those
horrible Steinways. It just doesn't make sense to me as an attitude
for us to take. By all means, let us do our best to promote the idea
of diversity, and try to make that a practical reality where feasible.
But I think that we cause ourselves and our profession harm by
engaging in this kind of negative campaigning.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu