[CAUT] Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 24 19:55:00 PST 2008

Fred-

Good comments. Set-up is foremost. (Maybe tuning even before set-up, since
no one claims that a seriously out-of-tune piano sounds good!)

Pianos are musical instruments, not tools. As such, a Consumer reports type
rating will not be possible. Larry Fine does a remarkable job.

Much of the value of a musical instrument lies in what it can invoke in the
performer. I believe that in any high-stress occupation, ritual and belief
also play a significant role, and one that shouldn't be discounted. Consider
the great variety of rituals that athletes use.

In any case, we have seen many times on this list that piano solutions don't
necessarily converge. I am uncomfortable with any
one-and-only-best-solution.

Ed S.