[CAUT] Variety Festival (was Re: "All Steinway" Schools)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Nov 23 09:29:01 PST 2008

This thread has made me think what a wonderful thing it would be if
some school were to put on a festival, including concerts as well as
educational components, which focused on and celebrated variety of
instruments. Where what was taught had a focus on how to adapt music
to particular pianos, how the timbre and set up of a piano can inspire
difference of approach and interpretation. Such a festival could be
partly sponsored/supported by a consortium of small manufacturers. It
could also have a technical component in the background, with techs
coming in to apprentice/get training in setting a variety of
instruments in a variety of ways (providing labor partly in exchange
for training).
	It seems to me that such a thing could be exciting and viable, for
everybody involved, from manufacturers to artist/performer/teachers to
students to technicians. Hard to put together, but I don't think
impossible. Could be done at ASU, for instance, in an embryonic way,
just using existing inventory.
	In any case, I would rather focus on what CAN be done, rather than on
sniping at success. Regardless of the various opinions about all-
Steinway, there are many levels on which the program can be viewed as
a success, and not just for that one manufacturer. If it raises the
bar among music schools with respect to their instruments, spurs on
competition for quality of instruments and their maintenance, that is
a good thing. The down side is homogenization. How do you best avoid
homogenization? By tearing down what is successful, or by presenting
an alternative?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico