[CAUT] Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 22 21:06:55 PST 2008

Ed~

Very astute. Once again, you have stated the situation much more precisely
than I ever could have.

(I noticed however, that you responded in English...   ;-)   )

I realize that what I may be doing is questioning the status quo, or the
water in which everyone swims, which to many here may seem less than useful.
But here goes:

Practicing only on Steinways is "safe" for pianists, IF they can also assure
that they only perform on Steinways. (Which is what almost every pianist
aspires to, right?)

Pianists (and music school administrators) like to minimize risk. They have
enough to worry about: They are expected to give "Perfect" performances.
(Play exactly the right notes. Bring in exactly the right amount of money or
new recruits. -Often uninspiring performances, but perfect. -At least,
note-perfect.) They want to be recognized as having done the job, the one
that they're expected to do, well. Predictable means dependable means
mission accomplished means successful. And, of course, public image is
paramount. And, apparently, nothing enhances public image like a high
profile name like Steinway. (But there are others...)

Many pianists today, I have observed, experience great difficulty coping
with pianos of different make, or actions of different touch, or ones that
are voiced differently or respond differently than what they expect. In the
old days, being able to cope with all different makes and kinds of pianos
was a requisite skill of being a concert artist (or a piano technician!).
You had to be sort of a musical ambassador. Now everyone wants the road
paved for them. -To only have to speak in one language, (i.e. their own), as
you so succinctly put it.

Note also, the situation with "Steinway Artists": How they must perform on a
Steinway, unless there is no alternative.

And of course, it is considered a great prestige to be a "Steinway Artist".

This is indeed a very clever system that Steinway has set up. Sort of a
self-fulfilling prophecy, in a way. There is much more to this than merely
Steinway's advertised claims as to why "pianists prefer Steinway". Why do
you suppose Yamaha and Kawai are following suit, trying to set up their own
Concert and Artists Divisions, and trying to undermine Steinway's
well-entrenched position as de facto standard? Everyone wants to become the
de facto standard- -it just makes life infinitely easier. You don't have to
work as hard as you do if you are considered #2 or #3. You have arrived. You
can rely on reputation to do much of the work for you. -Even cut corners, if
you feel like it.

Pianists look around them to see what all the other pianists are playing.
Many of them are, unfortunately, more than somewhat insecure. They
definitely don't want to be in the minority. They don't want the public to
wonder why they aren't playing a Steinway. Does that mean...heaven
forbid...they're not good enough?

If the public perception were that Yamaha or Kawai were the "standard"
piano, then that piano brand would be the one to play. After all, aren't
pianists doing this for the public?

Many pianists now refuse to perform on any piano but Steinway. Many aspiring
piano technicians now believe that becoming competent to service Steinways
(and only Steinways!) will put them at the top of their profession.

What is wrong with this picture?

(Nothing?...

Okay...     )

~Kendall