[CAUT] "All Steinway" Schools. The problem with...

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Nov 22 20:57:19 PST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Andrew Anderson wrote:

> I have noted that people who are accustomed to the Steinway touch
> and response are intimidated by a highly responsive high-end piano.

	I'd say that would depend on how the Steinway is set up. A Steinway
can be just as highly responsive as any, in my experience, or more so.
I've certainly run across "sluggish and dull" ones, but they typically
hadn't been prepped by someone who had chops, or they had purposely
been made "mellow" in response to customer request.
	Whenever I go to a convention, I tend to prefer the German pianos on
the whole. A lot of it is prep, though there are certainly other
factors. (The Steinways on display tend to suffer by comparison, but
usually they are simply hauled in from the local dealer, rather than
specially prepped).
	I agree, the Sauter is a great instrument, one that I would tend to
favor if it was available in my area. I have also loved the
Steingraebers, and some of the Schimmels and Seilers. And Masons and
Shigerus as well. Even so, I can't say I would feel handicapped if I
had never played on one of those. Just inspired when I run across one.
And one that has been neglected and allowed to deteriorate will be as
bad as any bad piano.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico