[CAUT] "All Steinway" -What does it really mean...

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 22 13:29:13 PST 2008

Eric~

Thank you so much for bringing up these valuable points (and explanations)
in defense of the program/purchase, and for providing important detail about
what actually transpired, and also your explanation that this wasn't
necessarily the way you would have done it.

I sincerely appreciate that you had to make a difficult choice. You are to
be commended.

I remember when I was studying to be a concert artist, back in the 70's at a
certain Western University Music School. My piano professor had two 7 foot
grands in his home, and would often have "workshops" there, where we piano
students would perform for each other. One of his pianos was a Steinway
Model B, the other was a Mason & Hamlin BB.  Both were terrific pianos in
their own right, but for different reasons. Each instrument had assets the
other didn't. My professor really liked the Mason & Hamlin, he felt it had
real character, and was able to bring out a lot of things that the Steinway
simply couldn't musically, because of design decisions Steinway had made.
(The same could be said of the Steinway, of course.) I myself performed on
both instruments (not at the same time!), and got a great deal out of the
experience.

BUT... ...My teacher eventually ended up selling the Mason & Hamlin, and
getting another Steinway 7', because "all the students wanted to play on the
Steinway," -and the Mason just wasn't being used. -Just like you say was
happening at CCM.

You also may remember when Andre Watts decided to play Yamaha, and the
critic "praised the pianist but panned the piano."
(But what do music critics know about pianos? -A valid question. -Or donors,
for that matter?)

How much of this was simply unquestioned reputation, and a desire or need to
for the critic to associate/align himself with what the public apparently
considered "the best"?

Why did Andre choose not to play the Steinway? (Or Paderewski, when a
Steinway prepared for him was reregulated at the factory, unbeknownst to
him, back to an extremely heavy touch, and he was temporarily crippled as a
result of attempting to play on it, and stopped playing Steinways for
several years. (This is in Paderewski's autobiography, by the way) -Or what
about all the other artists who have become frustrated or disillusioned or
disappointed with Steinway and gone to other brands? -List available on
request...)

There is a great deal of pressure that comes from all corners to use this
certain brand of piano. It's not that it isn't, in it's own way, great piano
design. It's not that it hasn't become a de facto standard, of sorts. But
the question is, is this seemingly unquestioned reputation truly justified?
After seeing all sorts of Steinways, in various states of repair or
disrepair, (or deconstruction, originating at the factory, and you all know
what I am talking about, you have seen them too) my question is, can
something become accepted as the standard and become unquestioned? There is
a difference between something being "unquestionably the best," on the one
hand, and being "unquestioned as the best" -simply because of peer pressure.
How many pianists are afraid to "associate" themselves with, or perform on
other pianos because they fear their reputation will suffer?

What I am wondering is whether we, as technicians, should just accept that
Steinway is the "Best Choice" -all things considered. As you say, perception
is an important part of the world we live in, and I agree that as a college
and university technician, you have to try and give people what they
perceive they want. We also know that people's perceptions can also be, at
times, erroneous or really off-base. Larry Fine in his Piano Book makes a
distinction between "informed value" and "ignorant value", a distinction I
found to be of great utility when observing the ways pianists and
significant piano-others both value, and evaluate pianos. I have seen enough
Steinway pianos in the homes of accomplished pianists, in deplorable states
of repair, to wonder how truly informed about piano sound and quality many
pianists are. We all know the common perception - if a person of whatever
piano attainments sits down at a piano and sees the name Steinway, they know
it's "gotta be good."

Arthur Loesser, in his epic work, Men, Women and Pianos, waxes poetic about
the Steinway, but also makes the important point that when people don't know
much about something, they tend to latch onto names, brands, and
reputations, which, he concedes, are slippery indeed. Hence the reason many
Steinbay, Shumway, Smiley, and even Steinvey pianos were sold ;-).

Is Steinway great truly because of merit, or just marketing? Or is it a sort
of slippery combination of both. -You tell me.

I was there in 1979-80 when the University of Texas at Austin placed what
they felt was one of "the largest orders of Steinway pianos ever" for their
new Performing Arts School. There was literally a sea of Steinways spread
across the large ballet studio floor, where they were temporarily storing
them. The mirrors on the ballet studio walls made them look an even vaster
number, and even more impressive, than they actually were.

I practiced and performed on those new pianos (or tried to). I don't know
what the original arrangement was between Steinway and the University as to
how much prep the University would be responsible for, but these pianos were
raw, and rough. (As you say, "green" and I had my reservations about the
seasoning of the wood...)  They had extremely sluggish actions, and a host
of other problems; were a bear to try and play, and needed an incredible
amount of work to make them remotely playable. It is a credit to Charles
Ball and his excellent staff, and their consummate artistry as technicians,
that they were able to make some sort of pianos of many of those PSOs that
came out of the factory. (These also had teflon, incidentally.) (By the way,
I do not speak for Charles. These are my own observations, as pianist and
technician).

Sheer weight of numbers becomes very powerful and persuasive: 97% of all
concerts (according to Steinway's survey pool) are played on the Steinway...
..whether the Steinway merits it or not. As you say "The people have
spoken!" After all, this is a democracy, as we all know. -Who cares whether
the people are informed or not.

I do not envy you. Like you said, your arm is probably going to be sore, and
in more ways than one. You are a great man to accept such a challenge, and
truly a service to your university community. I'm just wondering whether all
this is absolutely necessary, all because someone in marketing, or some
donor, decided that this was the way it was going to be done.

Perhaps this will be a valuable learning experience for the students.
Perhaps after being inundated with Steinways, some will start to appreciate
the value of having other instrument voices...

How was it when you were virtually an "All Baldwin School?"

(And how is it that an "All Steinway School" can get away with still having
those other nice pianos there, like the Kawai EX and the Bosendorfer
Imperial grand?

What! Who let that rabble in? ;-)  )

Sincerely,

Kendall Ross Bean