[CAUT] "All Steinway" Schools. The problem with...

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 22 11:52:24 PST 2008

Omigosh! Thank you so much Rick!

I am so glad someone had the courage to bring this important point up. I
couldn't have said it better.

Thank goodness someone else sees the problem with having a music school that
only uses one brand of piano.

What about all the other great pianos out there? Is there really a BEST
piano? (Perhaps- -for marketing your music school, or for making money for
that manufacturer.)

As a pianist, I found it utterly necessary to be able to practice on a
number of different pianos with different actions and touches, and sounds,
and designs, because I would be running into all kinds of different brands
and makes and designs of pianos in real life. (And what a wealth of quality
and experience that was!)

Only practicing on one kind of piano, or one brand, severely limits the
pianist in his ability to be able to cope with a number of different pianos
in diverse venues and performance situations.

The piano competitions have had a similar myopic outlook for many years. Can
we have the courage to ask ourselves - "Is it true, this premise on which
the competition is so often based? Is there truly a "Best Pianist" (or a
"Best Piano")? What about all the other pianists (or piano builders) who
have devoted, and sacrificed, their lives to perfecting their skills, who
also have something of great value and worth to offer?"  Unfortunately these
days it is generally "Winner-take-all," even though there is lip service to
2nd and 3rd prize and runner up.

A Nation, a World of "All Steinway Schools"! Yes, and a MacDonalds on every
major intersection in every town in every country, except those who are wise
enough neither to sell out to mediocrity, nor a "one-size-fits-all" solution
to the world's diverse problems. Whose vision is this, anyway? Not mine, and
hopefully not the vision of a number of thoughtful folk out there, either.

It's not that Steinway isn't a great piano (or wasn't, at one time). It's
just that it isn't the only one, and we truly deprive ourselves of so many
valuable and significant perspectives and experiences when we only focus on
what we think is  "The Most Famous, the Greatest, or the Best".

So. What's suddenly wrong with Baldwin, (which CCM reportedly boasted the
"largest" inventory of, "anywhere in the world" for the past several
decades)? Or Mason & Hamlin? Or Charles Walters? Or Yamaha? Or Kawai?
Bechstein? Or Bosendorfer? Or... (Any one of myriad other wonderful brands?)
-Except that perhaps one less-informed but influential segment of the public
doesn't consider them "Top Dog", as they do Steinway, because of S.& S.'s
hyper-aggressive marketing program?

How would it be only being able to work on, or perform on Steinways? I think
it would truly drive a person crazy, eventually. But apparently that is the
professed dream of many piano technicians, if you believe their testimonials
in Steinway promotional pieces.

I truly believe that a conservatory that only offers their students one make
of piano to practice and perform on, is truly depriving those students of an
important opportunity and learning experience that should be available to
them.

Diversity. Yes, that says it all. Please, please, can we continue to
encourage diversity? Isn't that what really makes institutions of higher
learning relevant, in this diverse world we have today? Too often I feel
people in positions of power, who are making important decisions, have
decided we need "One-size-fits-all." Certainly that outlook tends to make
life less complicated. But, I also feel, ultimately less fulfilling.

Money and donations, and the desires of donors certainly aren't everything.
But unfortunately they seem to have "top billing" in many of our
institutions of "higher" learning today.

I truly don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I'm sure that, for those
involved, this was a real coup or accomplishment. But unfortunately when a
large number of people have a huge investment in seeing something happen a
certain way, different or equally valid and valuable perspectives go out the
door.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, Rick. A truly sad day for music.

Thank you, so much, for your cogent and all-too-pertinent observations.

Kendall Ross Bean
PianoFinders.