[CAUT] tone building for impatient pianists

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 16:53:42 PST 2008

That's why I gave up putting in lacquer from the sides.  Hard on the back
and not any more effective than applying it from the shoulders-nor does it
prevent it from leaching to the crown anyway.  Moreover, I think you are
looking for increasing the overall density of the hammer incrementally, not
hardening one spot.   Apply from the shoulders and put a couple of drops of
pure acetone on the crown after you are done if you want to keep it from
getting crusty on top.   But if you must, pull the action, set one side down
on a non skid surface (like carpet), lean the action against a wall, swing
one hammer out at a time, apply the lacquer, swing it back.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com