[CAUT] tone building for impatient pianists

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Nov 21 15:35:27 PST 2008

	Well, I guess getting it there into position is the hard part, if the
stack is still on the keyframe with keys. It's heavy and awkward. If
it's a Steinway, there is space between the bass and tenor sections to
get an index finger around the hammer rail. So grab there with the
left hand, use the right on the treble side of the keyframe somewhere,
and you'll have a good solid grasp of the whole assembly. Then lower
one end to the floor. You can slide the bottom of the frame along a
piano bench or something if that makes it easier.  Once you have one
end on the ground, slide it along the floor, grabbing one of the cross
members of the keyframe if that makes it easier (then you are on the
other side from the hammers and less likely to catch one on
something). Or you can lift with one hand on one of the cross members
and have your other hand on the top of the keyframe, and carry it to a
wall. Get it upright and leaning solidly and stable against a wall so
you don't have to be holding it precariously with one hand while
working on parts with another.
	Then apply your material, swinging each hammer out in turn. Maybe
stand on something to be able to see the top hammers. Turning it over
to get the other side can be done a few ways. The easiest is to turn
it enough so that you can lower the high end to the floor. Then lift
the other end until it is upright.
	IOW, yes, get over it <G>.
	You can also just apply material to the sides of the hammers with the
keyframe and action in normal position on a table. It will wick in
nicely. But it is harder to see exactly what you are doing, and to
control it, without a bit of experience..
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu