[CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri Nov 21 09:18:22 PST 2008

You know Rick, I've been trying to establish a budget here for piano replacement since I started 11 years ago with no results. The fact that there wasn't a budget to begin with speaks volumes, and believe me there are a couple of scenarios I would prefer over buying a whole bunch of Steinways all at once. The reality is however, that even if we didn't buy into the program we would still be buying a boatload of Steinways because we only had 38 of them here to start out with AND THAT'S WHAT EVERYBODY WANTS. Yes, it is a brilliant marketing strategy because both sides win. Steinway sells a bunch of pianos and we get a bunch of new pianos plus whatever "guise" of joining the elite such an act entails. Perception is an important factor as we attempt to market our school to the world. Calling it a "sellout" and calling it "a sad day for music" overly simplifies the matter and injects a bit of negativity which I don't think is necessary. There will still be a number of non-Steinway pianos here, but people will prefer the Steinways just as much as they do now. We have a fine Bosendorfer imperial grand and a Kawai EX on stage right now that are rarely used. Yamaha lent us a CF-III for a couple of years and even had the Yamaha concert tech team come prep it but it was almost universally passed over in favor of a 20-year old Steinway D on the same stage. It almost seems like a waste to have these pianos onstage because they are so rarely used...I'm all for piano diversity but the expense of "other" fine pianos precludes their being kept around if they are rarely used or desired. We have historically had a good diversity in our practice rooms over the years and guess what? The few Steinways we had were just being pounded into dust while the others were used only if there are no Steinways available. I don't think this would change if we put some new Yamahas, Kawais, Sauters, Schimmels or anything else in there. The people have spoken! They want Steinways because they like the sound and touch better. Who am I to force diversity upon our faculty and students? There will still be a wide range of artistic and intellectual diversity here and there will still be much discussion about what a being a good, lousy or great piano entails. In our case, the pros of maintaining diversity in the hardware were far outweighed by the vast improvement in our educational facility we will experience once all the new pianos arrive and have stabilized. I'm sure my arm is going to be sore for a year or two.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of Rick Florence
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 10:41 AM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

I'm sure the infusion of the new Steinways will be an improvement over your present situation, but I can't help but think this is yet another sellout to a brilliant marketing campaign.

I am constantly amazed at the number of educational institutions, whose very existence historically is possible because of a die-hard dedication to diversity and questioning status quo, making such a contradictory decision .  Music institutions are being bought and paid for, robbing their students of the opportunity to make music on a variety of wonderful pianos, under the guise of joining the "elite."  I wish more administrators had the guts to say to donors, "we would love to accept your donation and offer a complete musical education to our students by purchasing the best pianos from around the world, including Steinway."  Instead, they are so excited about the money, they ignore the cornerstone of education - diversity.

A sad day for music.

Rick Florence
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University