[CAUT] VS Profelt

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 19 09:35:38 PST 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Maybe I wasn't clear. On the Baldwin it caused the hammers to expand
> and pop unglued from the cores. ed

	And I'm guessing that's glue failure from actually saturating to the
core, as opposed to applying it more conservatively so that it doesn't
penetrate so deeply. As well as the hammer felt close to the core
swelling from the water in the formula, and more or less exploding the
system of compression of fibers, which is really pretty tenuous: it
doesn't want to be stretched around the core to start with, and the
fibers are compressed that much more in the interior, and even without
added water, they are trying to "burst free." Add water, and they have
that much more pressure to apply.
	I wonder about applying a formula with less water content (91%
isopropyl for instance) and not entirely saturating. I have some old
Hamiltons ripe for experimentation, as well as at least one set of
hammers and butts that I salvaged and saved. When I have time, I'll
fool around.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico