[CAUT] VS Profelt

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 19 08:00:20 PST 2008

Nick's formula was made of fabric softener and rubbing alcohol, which is
about 30% water. he called for liberal soaking into the shoulders. I used it
successfully for a while, until I applied it to a set of new Baldwin
hammers. As I got to note 88 I looked back and watched as the hammers went
"pop" up the scale.
As for VSP, I wonder about the wisdom of applying even tiny amounts of
silicone to a hammer surface that contacts wound strings. Silicone likes to
travel, and the inpacts and vibrations should give it plenty of help. I
worked in a school where my predecessor believed in applying silicone to the
bridges "to help the strings slide." All of the bass strings were dead on
those pianos.
Ed S.