[CAUT] tone building for impatient pianists

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 18 23:23:49 PST 2008

Hi Dennis.

I agree entirely, in the end shortcuts to voicing have always ended up
yielding  less then satisfactory results in my experience. I'd go so far
to say that even with the worst sort of hammers an appropriate measure
of patience will end up resulting in fine tone.  That said. In the case
of a decent enough piano like an S&S, you should be able to achieve a
very satisfactory <<start>> voice in a couple days. Getting the basic
first voicing tone you want with a reasonable degree of evenness is
quickly enough done, but adding very careful hammer mating, second
voicing... with attention to soft shift, string leveling etc can easily
consume a a day or two before you start to get really satisfied.  Then
there is the playing in... and finding that middle road  sweet spot that
lets you address different pianists tastes quickly as the need arises.
Took me about 8 visits on a D here that had been subjected to a myriad
of different techs trying all sorts of stuff over the years to
thoroughly sort out and stabilize the tone the hammers gave... and it
requires follow up all the time.  A new piano is perhaps a bit easier
especially if you are the only one adjusting things. But its not done
over nite and it isnt static over time.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi-

    Some recent experiences lead me to inquire how others may deal with
    certain impatient expectations regarding tone building on new
    hammers, specifically S&S hammers that require extra juicing in the
    treble.  This is all standard procedure, but generally my experience
    shows that the best results are achieved not quickly but through a
    combination of playing in, hardeners and needles over a bit of
    time.  Unfortunately, the event calender rarely allows for optimal
    time.  Do you send a memo to everyone explaining all this?  I've had
    similar problems as related to instability on a newly restrung piano
    being required for certain events before it is ready.

    Thanks,   but having a bad day-

    Dennis Johnson