[CAUT] VS Profelt

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Nov 18 23:13:07 PST 2008

Been reading these posts on using VSP as a hammer softener and get the
feeling this is in the end another red herring really. No doubt
interesting... but in the end probably rather expensive compared to a
water alcohol soak if one first wants to expand the hammers.

Strikes me that if you have poorly made, rock hard hammer types that
have been needled to bits that the only real way of salvaging them and
at the same time creating some semblance of dynamics to resultant tone
is to over soften them, reshape and then approach them as if they were
new very soft hammers that require lacquer. I've had lots of success
doing this... but in the end it seems to me that its a good deal of work
anyways and a new set of hammers is nearly as cost effective.

Just my two cents
RicB

    Steaming and needling had not much effect which was prompted my
    trying the VSP.
    Regards,
    Jon Page