[CAUT] tone building for impatient pianists

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Nov 18 13:30:39 PST 2008

Hi-

Some recent experiences lead me to inquire how others may deal with certain
impatient expectations regarding tone building on new hammers, specifically
S&S hammers that require extra juicing in the treble.  This is all standard
procedure, but generally my experience shows that the best results are
achieved not quickly but through a combination of playing in, hardeners and
needles over a bit of time.  Unfortunately, the event calender rarely allows
for optimal time.  Do you send a memo to everyone explaining all this?  I've
had similar problems as related to instability on a newly restrung piano
being required for certain events before it is ready.

Thanks,   but having a bad day-

Dennis Johnson