[CAUT] VS Profelt

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Mon Nov 17 14:09:47 PST 2008

I saw it happen after using alcohol in the shoulders of a Yamaha... I've never seen it happen on a Weber that had never been needled (we used to sell new Webers and followed up on the same pianos for years).Diane Hofstetter> From: ilvey at sbcglobal.net> To: caut at ptg.org> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:48:45 -0800> Subject: Re: [CAUT] VS Profelt> > That sounds like years of needling...same thing happened to me when I tried steaming...> > David Ilvedson, RPT> Pacifica, CA 94044> > ----- Original message ----------------------------------------> From: "Jon Page" <jonpage at comcast.net>> To: caut at ptg.org> Received: 11/17/2008 12:32:22 PM> Subject: [CAUT] VS Profelt> > > >I pulled the action on the Weber which had rock hard hammers on which> >I saturated the shoulders. It expanded the hammer and tore the surface> >on the area either side of the crown either side of the bass/tenor break.> > >I am aggressively filing them to get a good strike surface, it really showed> >up the lack of even layering in the process, the hammers are now a little> >lop-sided. Could it be that all that stiffener helped to shape the hammer> >due to its lack of better construction by binding the layers?> > >Or maybe the tears came about by aggressive needling either side> >of the crown while it was in its stiffened condition. In either case,> >I wouldn't try more than a scant amount in the string cut in the future.> > >Back to filing...> >-- > > >Regards,> > >Jon Page> > >PS The S&S B with VSP lightly on the strike surface is no worse for the wear.>