[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Nov 14 07:15:01 PST 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> In compression crowned soundboard assembly, setup, and stringing,
> The plan rarely coincides precisely with the result.
>>

> Board MC is more and less important depending on the basic design of
> the assembly.
> Ron N

	Well, fair enough, I certainly concur that bridge pins touching or
nearly touching struts are not an absolute indicator of something
wrong. Particularly if using vertical hitches, as that makes the
string tension plane adjustable: it could well be adjusted closer to
the struts without any harm at all. In the case of a standard setup,
though, with bent hitches and original string rests (duplexes or
whatever), it wouldn't be a "firm" indicator, but would, to my way of
thinking, be a good reason to take a second look before proceeding
with installing strings. You might well be putting an excess load on
your board because you made a mistake in your setup procedure.
	It seems to me that the method of setting bearing you describe, using
wedges to emulate string load on the board, is another example (along
with not paying adequate - IMO - attention to EMC) of a weakness in
the process of "executing the plan." Some people do it that way,
others just add an initial amount of excess downbearing in hopes of
arriving at the target after the soundboard is under load of the
strings. Either way seems pretty haphazard to me, especially if
coupled with failure to control EMC at that moment. How do you make
sure that the wedges are exerting the right amount of downward
pressure? Has anyone measured to be sure?
	It would not be that hard to do a pretty precise emulation. Start
with a target downbearing angle for each section. Figure average
string tension times the number of strings for each section. Calculate
the vector. You can come up with a very close approximation of how
much force the strings will exert on each section (given your target
downbearing). And then exert that amount of force by one or another
means. Could be as simple as weights brought to bear on the middle of
each section. Or some kind of adjustable and measured coil spring
(valve springs come to mind as part of a set up). Or some other
contraption. The point being to measure it, and come to a close
approximation of the reality you hope to create. And then kerf and
plane the bridge top accordingly (or whatever your method is).
	Moisture content is a factor regardless of design. I guess the major
variant would probably be rib cross section, and the degree to which
it reacts to and resists the swelling and shrinking of the board
itself. But in any design there will be an effect, both on degree of
unloaded crown and on resistance to downward pressure. Again, it is
not that difficult to control this, to determine at what EMC (or
equivalent RH, given time to adjust) you want to set bearing. And then
establish that condition before setting bearing. (It would make sense
to me that the "magical" 42% RH and its equivalent EMC would be the
usual standard, so you can tell the customer to keep the piano at that
condition).
	Once again, I am just a bystander, offering opinions where they
aren't wanted <G>. I don't install boards. I have very limited
personal experience in the area (though I have talked to many people
who do have that experience). Still, I have to wonder if your comment
that
  "The plan rarely coincides precisely with the result"
may not be at least partly the result of a faulty process with lack of
adequate control, instead of the result of an inherent randomness in
the universe. It seems like this aspect of piano manufacture/
remanufacture is important enough to make some extra care very
worthwhile. So much attention is paid to the arc of the ribs (in rib-
crowning), thickness gradients, ribbing design, etc. But in the final
assembly it seems like a lot is left to chance.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu