[CAUT] Root beer damage

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Nov 13 13:48:32 PST 2008

At least it missed the bass strings. I had a full set go dead from
just a sprinkling of some sort of soda. The sprinkling came from a
spill on top (lid closed) of a Yamaha U-1. Some leaked through the
hinge area. You wouldn't think, with the placement of that hinge, that
much would splatter to the strings, and not much did (visual
inspection), but the strings were dead dull. Had to be replaced. I
cleaned up the hammers and dampers well enough for function. They just
had drips here and there on them.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico