[CAUT] Dampp-Chaser - half system installation...

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Wed Nov 12 20:33:51 PST 2008

Here in Laredo the humidity is generally higher then recorded for
Dallas, especially when cold fronts blow through Dallas.  We had a
half system on the S&S D at the local college.  A cold front blew
through here right in the middle of recital concert season and the
tuning went south, significantly.  The dean of the school of music
demanded to know what could be done to prevent this.  We installed a
one tank system on it and now the shift is measured in single digit
cents.

Quite frankly, if you have a customer that prizes stability you are
short-changing them with a one sided system.  If the customer doesn't
really care it might be OK but those cold fronts will make you look
bad.  One thing to consider is customer mobility.  They move to
Aridzona, West Texas or New Mexico and believe the piano is
protected.  Who do they blame.  I put a full system on with a beeper.
It gets maintained.  Nothing like, "MEEP MEEP MEEP ... ..." to get
that done.  I advise the person handling the piano to put a few cups
of water in before a concert just in-case the water is low at the
time.  I've had customers ask me to add the beeper because the lights
just don't get their attention.

I have an older concert grand here in the teaching studio and the one
sided system just did not stabilize the piano.  Adding the second half
worked great.  Our climate here is pretty stable compared to other
parts of the country, but if you are sensitive to pitch you will
realize that pianos go out of tune just as fast and easy as guitars
do.  They just take longer to tune.

Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano