[CAUT] [SPAM?? 59%] Re: left to right or R to L?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Nov 12 17:00:17 PST 2008

Truely amazing, Fred. I want to hear this piano too!  Is it the "bell"
metal plate iron for pure tone? Stringy should only be the cheese on my
pizza ;>)

pw

Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/12/2008 04:59 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject

On Nov 12, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> If your board has any real crown, and you're putting any real
> bearing on it, this will happen

Talking of "real crown" and "real bearing," yesterday I ran across
this description of the "Genuine Mathushek" (the NYC firm, not the
"fake" one in West Haven CN) "Equilibre System":
   This new system removes all causes whereby ordinary pianos fail. It
prevents
the sounding board from being displaced and admits the adaptation of
an iron
plate with four times teh resisting power of any plate ever introduced
by any
piano maker, without increasing its weight. Each string controls a
bearing of
nearly 15° upon the sounding-board, or (similar to a violin) fifteen
times more than
on an ordinary piano. It must be apparent that a piano thus
constructed must
produce a longer vibration, which by actual demonstration is found to
be the case.
Not only is this advantage gained, the formerly unnatural strain being
completely
withdrawn, a purer, sweeter and inspiring sympathetic tone takes the
place of
the ordinary noisy, stringy tone, and bears in its intensity a very
near approach
to an organ.

                 I'd like to see and hear an example of that. I'm tired of
that
ordinary noisy, stringy tone.
Source of quote is
http://www.geocities.com/threesixesinarow/newyorkman.htm
  which has lots of other, equally amazing advertising copy.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu