[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 12 11:05:41 PST 2008

Can someone please explain why this "stresses the soundboard properly."
If I am improperly stressing soundboards, I would like to correct my ways.
Thank you.
Ed Sutton

  The stringing recommendation from Steinway (given decades ago in an undated "Parts Price List") is quoted below:

  In stringing Steinway Grands [sic], it is best to start at the top of the center section and work upwards thru the lower treble section and upper treble section to note #88.  Then start at the bottom of the center section and work up to the top, then start at note #1 and work up to the top of the bass section.  This stresses the soundboard properly to afford good working clearances in all cases.

  Good advice, I think, although I don't quite adhere to it!

  ~ Tom McNeil ~
  Vermont Piano Restorations

  346 Camp Street
  Barre, VT 05641