[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 08:37:54 PST 2008

Hi, Alan and Colleagues -

The stringing recommendation from Steinway (given decades ago in an undated
"Parts Price List") is quoted below:

In stringing Steinway Grands [sic], it is best to start at the  top of the
center section and work upwards thru the lower treble section and  upper treble
section to note #88.  Then start at the bottom of the center  section and work
up to the top, then start at note #1 and work up to the top of  the bass
section.  This stresses the soundboard properly to afford good  working clearances
in all cases.

Good advice, I think, although I don't quite adhere to it!

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations

346 Camp Street
Barre, VT  05641
(802) 476-7072

In a message dated 11/12/2008 1:12:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,