[CAUT] Dampp-Chaser component issues

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 15:23:02 PST 2008

The best solution I have seen was shown to me by Denis Brassard at U of Montréal. He cut a piece of pvc tube about 3" diameter, lift the leg and put the caster back in the tube (about 1" tall). This way, when you move the piano tue tube pushes the wire out of the way so the caster won't go over it. The caster is just pushing on the tube but since the tube is flush on the floor, the caster never gets over it. Thanks Denis.Marcel CareySherbrooke, QC> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:54:58 +0000> To: caut at ptg.org> From: pianotuna at accesscomm.ca> Subject: Re: [CAUT] Dampp-Chaser component issues>> Hi Alan,>> There is a spiral tubing designed for bike cables that can be wound around> cords to protect them. It is available in various colors.>> Does school policy prevent a new end from being attached to the cord> "after" the damage? Can the cord be shortened by putting on a new end?>> The rivet can be replaced in the probe. This is much less prone to> happening with the new design.>> At 04:09 PM 11/5/2008 -0500, you wrote:>>We have come up against two problems with the components of our>>Dampp-Chaser systems.  >>   One is damage to the power cords by stage dollies when the piano is>>mounted on one and gets moved around at all.  The problem is that the ac>>power cords get run over by the dollies. Over time, the insulation of the>>cords become worn enough that the copper wire itself becomes exposed or,>>worse yet, the cords become severed. Our school’s safety policy>>prohibits taping of exposed wire or splicing and taping a severed cord, and>>it doesn’t look like there is a consumer-feasible way to replace the>>cord, requiring replacement of the humidistat (which is lots of $$$,>>considering it is really a cord-related problem).   Does anyone know of>>something in which the power cords can be encased, so as to leave them>>flexible, yet make them more impervious to the effects of being run over by>>the wheels of the stage dollies?  Or is there a way to replace the power>>cord without “compromisingâ€� the housing of the humidistat?   >>   The other problem is what to do when the rivet that holds the low-water>>warning light probe in place gives up the ghost and no longer does it's>>job.  Has anyone else out there run into this and developed a reliable>>fix?         Thanks,         Alan Eder        Instant access to the> latest> Regards,> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.> Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat>> mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/>> 3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7> 306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner>