[CAUT] Dampp-Chaser component issues

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 5 13:45:47 PST 2008

Cut the wire short (6-12" from the bottom of the piano) and install a
Super-plug (OEM from Dampp-Chaser, if anyone asks). Then get a heavy-
duty casing extension cord for it. The "O" in the cord style is a
good indicator. These are often used for floor sanders. Doesn't need
to be heavy-gauge, or even grounded, though both are ok.

Then replace the extension cord as necessary.

Doug

On Nov 5, 2008, at 1:09 PM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> We have come up against two problems with the components of our
> Dampp-Chaser systems.
>
> One is damage to the power cords by stage dollies when the piano is
> mounted on one and gets moved around at all.  The problem is that
> the ac power cords get run over by the dollies. Over time, the
> insulation of the cords become worn enough that the copper wire
> itself becomes exposed or, worse yet, the cords become severed. Our
> school’s safety policy prohibits taping of exposed wire or splicing
> and taping a severed cord, and it doesn’t look like there is a
> consumer-feasible way to replace the cord, requiring replacement of
> the humidistat (which is lots of $$$, considering it is really a
> cord-related problem).
>
> Does anyone know of something in which the power cords can be
> encased, so as to leave them flexible, yet make them more
> impervious to the effects of being run over by the wheels of the
> stage dollies?  Or is there a way to replace the power cord without
> “compromising” the housing of the humidistat?
>
> The other problem is what to do when the rivet that holds the low-
> water warning light probe in place gives up the ghost and no longer
> does it's job.  Has anyone else out there run into this and
> developed a reliable fix?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan Eder
>
> Instant access to the latest & most popular FREE games while you
> browse with the Games Toolbar - Download Now!

Doug Wood
School of Music
University of Washington