[CAUT] Some like it Hot/Some like it Cold!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon May 19 17:47:50 MDT 2008

Jim,  Thank you!!

Maybe you should just wave your "I'm great at regulating" flag!!!!  Yea
for you!  I'm still not sold as to why these punchings are so great.
Please explain.  How in the world do punchings affect tone????? (I think
I'm really good at regulating too, but tone/voicing is still on my "to-do"
list.  Does anyone think they're the BEST at that ;>)  I've never been
frowned at for my regulations.....tone/voicing...maybe somewhat, but I've
fixed it to suit them... but not regulating! I'm getting better tho being
in concert situations much more often! :>)  Does anyone think they have
the "perfect voicing" down pat???? (Wally and Steve Brady are close...but
then again, Steve's my mentor!)

 Again, it's all relative to what each pianist likes.. some, I don't like
(what they think is good!!!..but I do it)  This will ever be a debate as
to what the perfect tone is on any piano.  Some like it HOT and some like
it COLD.

As to my first question...do 3/4" punchings compared to 1" punchings make
a difference? And why are there  differences in size when only a 7/8th
keyboard would play in?

Thanks again Jim.. I reeealy like your imput! (Everyone else too for that
matter!)

Paul

ps.  I'm still interested in trying those newfangled Werzen punchings, but
I need more support as to why I should.

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
05/19/2008 03:27 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"ilvey at sbcglobal.net" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>, College and University
Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] 3/4" front rail cloth punchings

Hi David,

It's denser, but I wouldn't call it "hard". It's still very soft but
doesn't compress as much. I've find that I can regulate with less
aftertouch which seems to give better control and faster repetition.

I don't need to "sell" you on it, you may not like it, but between Vince
and I we've probably put on 70-80 sets and in some cases didn't even tell
the pianist. In 100% (so far :-) they've not only noticed a big
difference, but have loved the way it played. Vince even tells me he
thinks it sounds different... He played one note and kept exchanging the
two punchings, and I'll admit there was something there, but I think it
was simply less "piano noise" and not piano tone.

Yes, I like it, and it's been dang near miraculous to me. I like it so
well I chop it up and add some to my cereal every morning. <G>

Regards,
Jim