[CAUT] buzzing truck

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu May 15 09:30:07 MDT 2008

johnsond wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> The truck on our #2 performance piano has a problem buzz.  It has been
> elusive for some time mostly because it's been difficult coordinating
> the occurrence of the buzz with someone else available to play the note
> while I check things out.  This finally happened yesterday.  All bolts
> are tight.  When we play a Bb there is a buzz coming from somewhere
> between the top and bottom center plates.  Laying only the weight of my
> hand on the top plate makes it stop, remove my hand and it comes back.
> It does not sound like any stray material is inside but it will not be
> possible for me to remove the truck until summer sometime. What I did
> was loosen the suspicious bolt about half way which allowed the plates
> and arm to reposition slightly, then re tighten.  I have not been able
> to make it recur since then.  It is a standard Colson truck from
> Jensen's that I guess is about 15 years old.  I am inclined to recommend
> just replacing the whole truck as I was expecting to replace the wheels
> anyway this summer.  As anyone else experienced a similar problem with a
> truck?  How long do you typically keep them on performance pianos?  Any
> other suggestions.....?    It needs to be resolved with confidence.
> thanks,
>
> Dennis Johnson
> St. Olaf College

The rattles I've encountered on stage trucks were coming from the swivel
cups at the end of the arms. I finally put squares of action cloth under
the cups. (Holes cut in centers for screws, of course)

A similar application of felt or cloth might work for you.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be
used against you.