[CAUT] Early Steinway Grand Seminar NYC May 24

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Wed May 14 21:22:05 MDT 2008

I want you all to know of the seminar I will be teaching, "The Early
Steinway Grand, 1856-1886," at Klavierhaus in NYC Saturday May 24.  The NYC  Piano
Technicians Guild Chapter and it's president, Arlan Harris are  hosting the
event along with Klavierhaus.  The seminar begins at  10 AM and ends....well, in
time for me to catch Jet Blue back home to southern  California Saturday
night...  Registration - $45 - contact Arlan  Harris (see attached flyer).

The story of Steinway's first 30 years of piano design and building is not
well-known, even with several good Steinway company histories  available.  Good
information is still hard to come by on how to  approach these unusual, often
jointed-rim, Steinway grands.  Much debate  exists as to whether the company
was at all inventive, or mostly  derivative.  (Have you heard of the "Patent
Resonator?")  I think  that I have something to say about that, even though
much comparative research  is yet to be done.  And a great amount of rebuilding
of these early  instruments in now taking place; we'd like our years of
research on this subject  to do some good - before all the important examples of
early Steinways are lost  to history, unable to be documented.

Earlier in the week Larry Buck, David Stanwood and I plan to photo-document
the Monitor Grand (6'8") at the William Seward House in Auburn, NY (Monday) -
this is a rare example of the CF Theodore Steinway English action with a
"balance spring."  Next I'll give a chapter program in Boston -  "Discovering the
First Modern Steinway Grand" - on Tuesday the 20th.   Hopefully I'll get some
time at the Wagner Steinway Archives later in the week  to continue my
research.

If you're in California, plan on an Early Steinway Grand Seminar at Dale
Erwin's shop in Modesto August 2.  More later on that!

Feel free to check out _www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org)

If you're within range of the Boston and/or NYC chapters I'd love to have
you join us!  If you're not, tell someone who is about the events,  and
encourage your chapter or retailer to arrange for an "Early Steinway  Grand" seminar
in your area, and at the same time we might be able to  document an early
Steinway nearby.

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
_www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org)
_bdshull at aol.com_ (mailto:bdshull at aol.com)