[CAUT] strikeweight

Albert Picknell agghubii at yahoo.ca
Wed May 14 21:38:55 MDT 2008

Well, while I've got the shanks still sitting in order, maybe I'll measure them and see.  I expect there'll be some kind of correlation in a general sense, but lots of shanks that deviate from the trend as well.  That's one of the things I love about working with wood.  It's so.... unpredictable.

  Albert

"David C. Stanwood" <stanwood at tiac.net> wrote:
  Albert,

When I visited Steingraeber in Germany in 2002 I saw that they always
mount the shanks on the rail and then hit it with a little hammer and
listened to the tone that way. I've heard reference to other German
Companies using the technique as well. Since learning this I've
often wondered if there is any correlation with the shank tone and
sorting the shanks by Shank Strike (radius) Weight. It would be nice
if they both went together!

David