[CAUT] FW: S&S Guidelines

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Thu May 8 00:45:35 MDT 2008

Hi, Fred,

Very well said, and directly in line with my own long-time experience.

I think the only thing I would add would be that it is often the
second-chair wind players who drive up pitch the most (and the most
quickly).  More competent composers than myself may wish to chime in
on this, but I think that part of it has to do with them so often
winding up in first or second inversion.  This is most noticeable
with clarinets and bassoons, though also often found in second and
fourth horns.  Many modern orchestras do not even have a pitch
center, themselves, so, it is often hard to tell what to do without
some experience with the group.

Best regards.

Horace