[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 5 00:23:36 MDT 2008

At 06:51 +1000 5/5/08, Ron Overs wrote:

>...Yes, the eye must be a very good fit or it will allow the eye to
>slip and tighten on the pin. We make them so that the eye pushes on
>easily by hand, but only just.

I think that's what was not clear the first time I tried it, but
provided it is a good fit then presumably it does not tighten any
more and is easy to remove if needs be, unlike the normal double eye.

>  Lou straightens the core wire and supplies it to me before the
>strings are wound. I clean the polishing crud off the wire and make
>the eyes, then take them back to Lou for the copper to be wound. I
>believe it is very important to clean the grease and dirt off the
>core before the copper is wound, or over a short time the core will
>collect fine dust from the air and become tubby.
>If the core wire is dirty enough this can happen as early as a
>couple of years after the strings are wound.

Possibly.  I always clean the steel when the string is stetched on
the machine just before covering.  This also removes any marks from
handling, which is most important.

>Using clean copper is just as important as cleaning the core wire.
>Years ago here in the mid nineties, Lou was getting his copper drawn
>by BHP in Port Kembla. The copper wire was good quality stuff but I
>was suspicious that there was considerable residual
>drawing-lubricant on the wire. Lou's strings at the time would get
>tubby within a couple of years. However, he started getting his
>copper supplies from Renner and the problem went away, but I still
>clean the core wire for those sets which he winds for our own pianos.

Yes, I have used Degen wire (the stuff Renner supplies) almost from
the beginning.  When I first set up I worked with an ex-employee of
Parkes in England (originally Lou's relations) and we bought a small
stock of the copper Parkes drew themselves.  Not only was the copper
half-hard rather than soft like Degen's but it was so dirty the
strings had to be cleaned on the machine after covering.  This he
(and Parkes) did with a file card!!  They didn't wear gloves either
but just finger-stools.  I very quickly changed all that and the
collaboration lasted barely two months.  The quality of English bass
strings when I set up was appalling and stuff from abroad was not
brilliant either.

Thanks for the info.

JD