[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun May 4 13:27:52 MDT 2008

At 13:40 +1000 4/5/08, Ron Overs wrote:

>The double eye is certainly more trouble to make, but we have found
>that the additional friction-contact with the hitch pin, when at
>pitch, makes the double looped version less likely to tighten up on
>the pin. The jig we use for making them allows us to make the eyes
>with a tighter 'first bend', which seems to prevent the coils from
>tightening on the pin, allowing it to be easily removed from the
>hitch pin once the tension is let down. We were unable to achieve
>this with a single looped eye. So we continue to use double looped
>eyes for our instruments.
>
>Below is a sample of our eyes.

Yes, I had forgotten about that.  I made a few last time the topic
came up and today when I made some more I realised why I had probably
dropped the idea the first time -- simply that the hook on my bass
string machine is too fat for this sort of eye; at least I guess so.
I presume you make the eye so that it is a fairly close fit round the
hitchpin.  I really must get round to making up a thinner hook, which
would be useful for other jobs too.  I find your eye is pretty quick
to make and if it works as you say, which I don't doubt, it would be
a useful alternative to offer to my string customers.  But, as I have
said, I imagine the diameter has to be made according to the
hitchpins of the particular piano.  Is that right?

JD