[CAUT] Steinway school info

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Thu May 1 08:07:35 MDT 2008

The piano faculty here have got the Steinway school bug and I need to
learn more about this.  Could some of you who have experience with
this designation please give me some advice on how to proceed?  What
are the real benefits of going through this process?  What is the
down side?

We have some 80 practice rooms (115 total pianos).  The thought of 80
1098's or Bostons makes my stomach churn.  Of course, I would love to
replace or upgrade our grands.  We currently have less than 20
Steinway grands.

Which leads me to my main gripe, who is going to pay for this?  It
seems to me that we should begin this process by starting with the
budget.  Otherwise I think we're just window shopping at the Porsche
dealership.  At this point I'm worried about my annual contract
renewal.  And there just aren't that many music school alumni out
there that can drop a check for 3-4 million.

The local Steinway dealer says that the first step is for him to come
down for 2-3 days and do a total inventory assessment.  Will spending
this time building their data base be beneficial?  Or will we be
wasting the Porsche salesman's time.  I have been meaning to download
the CAUT data base and doing this myself. Would it still be
beneficial, or better than the Steinway spread sheet.  In my
pessimism, I can't imagine the Steinway data base isn't going to lean
favorably toward spending as much money as possible.

I would be really interested in hearing others experience with this.
Thanks for your time.

Chris

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
Registered Piano Technician