[CAUT] Schwander balancier pinning

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 11:41:15 MST 2008

 Dave asks:
<< The above assumes that you get new parts with nice even pinning.  Where
do you get yours? >>

       Mainly in my dreams, but overall, there is usually less work on new
parts.  That is partially offset by new failure, as I have had this month on two
sets of whippens.  One set was installed and used lightly for 15 years before
the jacks began to freeze. The other was last years concert rebuild, so after
two were found to be tight, I pulled the whole set off and repinned them.
This happened in the dryest part of the calender, and occurred spontaneously, so
I don't believe it was humidity.
   It seems I remember having to bend a lot of jack pins in some of the
Baldwin actions to keep the jack near centered,  I think there must be a limit on
how much of that can be done before dependability and durability issues arise.
   I'm not afraid of new parts on heavily worked pianos.  Damper felts every
couple or four years, back actions every three decades, hammers every year or
three if they really want it voiced all the time, etc. Somewhere in there lies
the whippen, or whipping if I spend all day on it.  We kept the original
Teflon whippens at Vanderbilt for 26 years. They were fine, but gradually the
maintenance costs and worry about things breaking ( like that cool little tender
joint?) grew to make new parts a good investment in stress.  That is sort of a
specific answer to a general question, mea culpa.
     At some point, I think I can get a better result, for the same or a
little more cost, with starting over.

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on
AOL Money & Finance.<BR>