[CAUT] New Delivery

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 30 02:45:52 MDT 2008

Hi Folks.

We (the UiB music conservatory) just took delivery of a brand new
Hamburg D to replace a 4 year old  Yamaha CF III that will now become
the number 2 instrument on our concert stage.  We have a small concert
hall and its a great place to compare the sounds of these two brands.
Have to say right off that I have enjoyed the CF III quite a bit these
past 4 years and have become very familiar with its character. But it
has always had a difference that marks it as a Yamaha. A certain
roundness to its tone that is rather hard to describe. It has all kinds
of brilliance when you want it... but of a very different sort then a
Steinway.

Anyways.. the new instrument unpacked and a couple pianists eager to try
it out.... I get to sit back and get a feel for the sound of this new
addition to our instrument park. Holy moly.... what a beautiful sound. I
mean as nice as the Yamaha is... this D had everything the Yamaha lacked
and more. I've heard side by side comparisons in big halls and been
impressed with the carrying power of Steinways, but this Yamaha is no
slouch and has been through such a comparison and compared more then
favorably with an aging D... which now has been re-hammered and would
fair far better but thats a different story.  But in an intimate hall
there are far more detailed characteristics that come immediately
forward in such a comparison. That ofte times criticized Steinway Duplex
functioning at its best contributes to the treble and high diskant so
nicely its just incredible. The Yamaha simply does not do this, tho it
has a similar front duplex arrangement... they just dont get that same
sound.  I personally believe it has to do with the capo profile but
thats another matter as well. And the bass !!!  Jesus Di Cristi !! You
play these big huge loud chords with low bass tones booming through and
you dont loose the individual tones in a mesh of overtones... There is
this tubular tinge to the solidity of the bass tones that just eats the
Yamaha bass right up.  And again... this is a particularly good Yamaha
we are talking about.

Ok... I am the first to underline that when using words like "better"
and "best" when describing subjective things like piano tone preferences
that one is indeed totally in the world of the subjective... so I'd like
to do that right now. This all says as much about what I like in piano
sound as anything else.  But I was indeed blown away.

On the side of all this, we decided to try out an Essex upright... 123.
I was anxious... and a bit nervous having heard so much negative about
these.  Of course its brand new and time will tell... but initial
reaction was quite pleasant surprise.  Very nice sound and touch.  We'll
see what the first year of use will bring.

Cheers, and Happy Summer to one and all

RicB