[CAUT] [SPAM?? 59%] Re: WNG/CF parts

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Jun 29 21:00:43 MDT 2008

I'm not too interested in weight, rather in longevity of parts and of
regulation. Capstans much less than keypins. Plated keypins tend to
have a good deal of irregularity, and I think they cause undue wear.
	I'd be curious to experiment with some capstans to see if it made a
difference to how much and how fast the regulation changed. It is
probably mostly compression, but there is a bit of a friction and wear
component. I certainly see wipp cushions that end up with an enormous
indent that is colored green from transfer of brass, along with black
from dirt. A fair amount of friction has to go along with that.
	But keypins are really what interest me the most. I'd love to have
slick keypins that would last. Seems like bushing longevity would
increase a lot, and when you re-bushed, you could skip most of the
polishing process.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico