[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jun 27 17:36:27 MDT 2008

Hi Chris,
	Yep, I have the same problem. Nope, I don't have an answer or a
procedure. It is definitely different to work with. The first thing
that really puzzled me was when I found that I could remove a pin, and
the same size pin would feel tight enough or even too tight (pushing
it into the felt by hand). So I tried reinserting the same pin
(Steinway pin, with the rounded edges). And, sure enough, the friction
had gone from 0 - 2 gm to 4 gm. Just removing and replacing it. I
guess the felt/teflon expanded while the pin was out. The friction
level went back to 0 - 2 gm overnight.
	So what do I do? Mostly, they seem to stay firm (feeling the end of
the hammer for wobble) for a good long time. If I get wobble, I repin
with the next larger size. I ignore friction measurements, as long as
it swings freely enough. Firm by feel and swing free is my only
parameter. I won't say I am comfortable with this exactly, but I find
I can regulate to the low friction okay (over the years I have got
pretty good with butterfly springs). I like it better than the solid
teflon, which always had/has too much friction if I just ream with the
prescribed size reamer, and too little friction if I use an
intermediate (.0005 above pin size as oppose to pin size to the .001).
	I'm just out there trying to make things work, and it seems like it's
easier to go with the flow than to fight it. And it seems to work
okay. So I have tried to alter my "inner imagination" to conform with
it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu

On Jun 26, 2008, at 8:41 PM, Chris Solliday wrote:

> Fred, I have problems when reaming (hard to imagine that some need
> it with
> free and firm and teflon) this cloth. Do you? I haven't found a
> really good
> burnishing technique or sizing solution. Have you?
> Chris Solliday rpt

>>> cloth.  Actually, I have strips of it and I haven't figured out yet