[CAUT] String Scale for a Steinway O Curved bass bridge

Scott E. Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Thu Jun 26 14:02:25 MDT 2008

I've got an here that I'm also restring, but the stinging was not original,
and highly suspect, so I'll likely go with Travis. He lists two different
Os:

No serial number:
13      .031 6  unisons
13 1/2  .032 4  unisons
14      .033 4  unisons
14 1/2  .034 5  unisons
15      .035 6  unisons
15 1/2  .036 6  unisons
16      .037 5  unisons
17      .039 12 unisons
18      .041 8  unisons

Serial number 276638:
13      .031 6  unisons
13 1/2  .032 4  unisons
14      .033 3  unisons
14 1/2  .034 8  unisons
15      .035 6  unisons
15 1/2  .036 5  unisons
16      .037 6  unisons
17      .039 12 unisons
18      .041 8  unison

I didn't realize there were two different O scales? Looks like maybe you can
figure it out based on where the breaks are? Mine lays out well with the
second (276638) scale, and not with the former. Mine is serial number 207116
is that helps any.

All the best, Scott

Scott E. Thile
Piano/Instrument Technician
Dept. of Music, Murray State University
504 Fine Arts Building, Murray, KY 42071
Office Phone: 270-809-4396
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/index.html