[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 26 12:46:28 MDT 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Porritt, David wrote:

> Fred:
>
> I don't have an answer to the firmness-low-friction-no-wobble thing
> but
> there is an advantage to even friction in even touch weight.  The
> highest compliment I feel I can get is when a pianist says "it's so
> even!"  If all the shanks are firm, sound good, no wobble etc. but the
> friction is uneven you miss that compliment (and I like that one!)
>
> dave
>
> David M. Porritt, RPT
> dporritt at smu.edu
Hi Dave,
	Yes, I agree, evenness is king, whatever the parameter. I had that
thoroughly hammered home for me a couple days ago while doing a
recording session (ie, me playing the piano, which I had,
unfortunately, prepared - I hate wearing both hats for a specific
gig). I had a section of about two minutes where there is a constant
pianissimo trill done by the index finger and thumb of the right hand,
while other fingers and hand do other things. I couldn't get the trill
to sound or feel even, though I had been quite successful at it in
rehearsal/practice at other instruments.
	I pulled the action and looked at the two notes. Sure looked pretty
darned even to me. I looked closer. I ended up changing letoff, drop,
and jack position relative to knuckle less than 1 mm each, changed dip
of one note by .010", and did a wee bit of needling on one hammer
(most of the problem seemed to be the relative feel of the jack
rubbing the knuckle during letoff). And I was successful in pleasing
myself. But it sure did reinforce the idea that you  can't be too
obsessive in pursuit of evenness.
	BTW, this kind of trill really accentuates things, because the keys
are moved the tiniest amount possible - allowed to rise only enough to
re-engage. Check doesn't enter into the equation, as the key is
released before there is a chance for the tail to hit the check - at
least I think this is true, I'd have to see high speed videography to
be sure. I think absolute evenness of aftertouch is the biggest factor.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu