[CAUT] piano moving stuff

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jun 26 11:42:18 MDT 2008

Thanks Ken.

This sounds like a good idea.  I may get this set up for myself here in
the shop.

You mention that the piano horse rolls up the ramp.Could you clarify this
part of it?  I didn't see the horse having wheels on Jannsen's web site.
It looks like it just lowers down on a skid-board and then you would still
need to lift up one end to get a dolly under it.

Paul

Ken Zahringer <ZahringerK at missouri.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
06/26/2008 12:07 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] piano moving stuff

Hey, Paul,

I have both of those items here and I love them.  We bought them a few
years ago when we got tired of what the movers were charging.  Now we do
almost all our piano moving in house.  The Wind Ensemble has a Steinway M
that they use for most concerts in the percussion section.  Their practice
room and concert venue are in different buildings.  I pack it up
completely by myself; I only get help from one of the grad students to get
it up the ramp into the truck.  I don’t think I would move a C7 without a
helper, though.

The piano horse and the grand chariot are great pieces of equipment, but
they were not designed to work together.  You will need to make a ramp so
the horse will roll up it to the platform level of the chariot.  Otherwise
the piano sets down onto the platform too early, and you have to use brute
force to lift the piano from about 30-40 degrees on up to vertical.  Not
fun.  Some pictures of my ramp are attached.  The ramp is the same height
as the chariot platform, 9 3/4”.  The ramp length is 34”, which is the
length of the curved part of the horse, less 3” to set the piano down at
the right spot.  That makes the base of the ramp 32 1/2”.  Note that the
bottom cross brace at the high end is set in, to clear the chariot wheel.
The frame is square tubular steel, the same stuff the horse is made of.
The top surface is 3/4” plywood.  A decent welder can make it in a couple
of hours.  I use a jack-in-a-box (actually a jack-on-a-post that I made)
to lift the bass leg to get the piano on the horse.  After using them for
2-3 years, I would never go back to the old school ways.

You might also want to check out http://www.holzter.com/ for their grand
pads and leg/lyre carriers.  Pretty cool stuff.

Regards,
Ken Z.

On 6/25/08 12:27 PM, "Paul T Williams" <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>