[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 26 08:05:03 MDT 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> I haven't worked on many newer Steinways with the low friction but
> firm
> cloth.  Actually, I have strips of it and I haven't figured out yet
> how
> anyone has determined that it is so firm.

Hi Barbara,
	The felt itself isn't particularly firm. In fact, it might be on the
spongy side. After the parts are pinned, the centers are dipped in a
solution of a teflon-like substance. It hardens in the felt. Around
the edges of the dipping baths, there is white substance where the
solvent has evaporated and left the solids. It feels much like what
you get if you let McLube evaporate.
	The firmness of the bushings comes from impregnation of the felt with
the lubricating substance.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico