[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 25 21:18:51 MDT 2008

I have been working at this very thing at Stanford.  Repinning all the D's.  I repinned the Hamburg to 4 grams and a year later it was maybe 1 gram.   I repinned again and used the very same center pin but had the friction back up...I was able to get about 5 grams.   I think the bushing cloth is polishing the center pin and lowering the friction.   My question is how do you know if you have adequate firmness?   At least I can measure the friction level accurately...

I've repinned a bunch of newer Yamaha grands measuring at barely 1 gram.   I definitely find a much more focused tone.   Cleaner and eliminating, for a time, voicing issues...

By the way, I am interested in center pins.   I've found that Schaff center pins are "slightly" smaller than Pianotek.   Which is very nice for that slightly more resistance going from the Schaff to the Pianotek when needed.   The Pianotek is German Silver...what are you folks using for centerpins.   I want to try them all...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044