[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 25 14:10:17 MDT 2008

Hi, all. I'm looking for perspective in what follows, as I come from
a background where the rewards for staying close to the "Steinway
Way" have been very great.

I am curious that the current Steinway parts have not been mentioned
in this query. I have had very good results in selecting between the
current production parts (look at them, they continue to get nicer
even this year!) and the "pre-84" parts by noticing whether I would
prefer to remove about 1 lead per key or add about 1/2-1 lead per
key. I also check dip carefully, after setting the spec blow and
aftertouch. If I then address all the friction points properly, most
players accommodate very readily, and very happily to the final result.

I do keep an eye out for errors in capstan placement, and for the
occasional piano/owner combination where moving toward optimal may
not be enough. But I have only rarely felt the need to either move
capstans or "redesign" the action.

I have had some unsatisfactory experiences with shanks that are
thinned too far down the scale. For example our older D here had a
history of being less and less well-accepted until I came on 5 years
ago. Lang Lang was here then, and recognized that something was
limiting his big sound, and we both agreed it was not tone
development in the hammer. Before the next season, I took out the
thinned shanks and put in current NY shanks, and the power went up
the amount I would normally expect with 3 full lacquerings. !! I
subsequently had to replace the hammers because I had over-lacquered
them in attempting to get the full power out of the piano.

My tentative conclusion about shanks is that the artists need the
stiffness. Most of them are remarkable athletes at the keyboard, and
it is easy to underestimate their ability to work the action. I'm
quite curious about the new carbon-fiber shanks, as they should be
noticeably stiffer. That should improve energy transfer. I'm
wondering if it will be better all-in-all to reduce tonal changes
(and what they provide in enlarging the color palette) from shank
flexing in favor of energy transfer. Likely, but I hope that we'll be
asking that question. Can the shanks be "too stiff"?

I do understand that Steinway knows all too well how to charge for
their parts. (Anyone ever thought of pegging their price increases to
Steinway's?) But I do find them to work exceedingly well, and be
quite durable. I am also fortunate that our staff rebuilding time is
small enough that the administrator is happy to pay for as many parts
of my choosing as I can actually get into pianos.

Doug Wood

School of Music
University of Washington