[CAUT] action stack protocol

Kidwell, Ted W kidwellt at saclink.csus.edu
Wed Jun 18 14:53:56 MDT 2008

I was just faced with this alignment issue on an S&S B. I was replacing the hammers, shanks, and repetitions. The existing alignment/spacing was very erratic as was the string spacing at the capo bar. I inherited this piano on the job with no hammers installed. So I really had no benchmark and had to start from the get go. Now I have an action that is as aligned as well as I would ever want with parallel and evenly spaced flanges. I don't think it took an inordinate amount of time or redundancy of work. Here is what I did:

 1.  Install the new reps making sure they were centered on the flange screw and papering them so that the fly was centered on the letoff button.
 2.  Install the flanges, again making sure the screws were exactly in the middle.
 3.  Make minor adjustments to hammer and/or repetition flanges to center shank on rebound cushion
 4.  travel shanks and install hammers
 5.  Insert action into the cavity and check to strings. (Most hammers needed a very slight shift to the right so I loosened the screws on the stop block and put a couple of 14F punchings behind it. Then I made a few minor adjustments to the hammers to align them as I wished with the strings in the agraffe sections. They were still good in relationship with the reps.)
 6.  Straighten the strings in the capo sections using a string and eyeball. Make unison width the same as in the agraffe sections. Make sure damper guide holes align with spaces between unisons.
 7.  Make minor adjustment to the hammers in the capo sections to align with strings.
 8.  Finally, look at action from the back and make minor adjustments to reps to align the end of the balancier with the hammer flanges. Make sure there is clearance between adjacent reps.

Ted Kidwell, RPT
California State University, Sacramento
Capistrano Hall, rm. 153
6000 J Street