[CAUT] Louisiana State SOM Position

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Jun 17 12:23:45 MDT 2008

Jeff:

I was gently trying to mention that you should not categorize all
college jobs as the same.  If the situation at USC  is as you describe
then you are right to leave and lodge a protest.  I'm just saying not
all jobs are like it is at USC.  My pay suits me, the benefits are very
good, I work 37.5 hours a week and have plenty of vacation and holiday
time paid.

You said: "I don't mean to pick on Dave and I really do rebutt his
response with all due respect, but his post epitomizes why university
salaries are what they are.  University positions are being taken
primarily by either singles or empty nesters who don't require as much
income.  That mischaracterizes the market for our skill."  Jeff, this is
the "Market" at work.  We all go for the positions that have the
benefits we want.  No one gets it all.  If high income is your goal you
have to find the positions, jobs or careers that offer that.  Everyone
can choose the job they want, or the pay they want, but not both.  This
choice is always a compromise between many criteria.  That's free
enterprise at work.  When I was younger, more energetic and less
experienced I worked hard as an independent tech.  I made good money and
handled it well.  Now I'm old (68) and less energetic but more
experienced so I'm doing what I do now - happily.

I hope you can find the right situation - a satifying nitch in our
profession that pays well so that when you're my age you don't have
regrets.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu